I love cabbage. I know that’s weird, but I really enjoy the texture of it. This is the first time I’ve made cabbage rolls. I had them at a Ukrainian restaurant recently and wanted to make my own, less traditional version of them. This is another dish that you can add anything to – any leftover vegetables, fruit, any minced (ground) meat and herbs. There is a lot of prep required for this dish so don’t undertake it if you don’t have much time.
Cabbage Roll Ingredients
1 medium cabbage
1/2 cup brown rice
1 small onion
1 cup chopped rhubarb
1/4 cup unsweetened apple puree
500g ground pork
3 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
1 minced garlic clove
1 teaspoon lemongrass paste
Salt, pepper & white sugar to taste
Tomato sauce Ingredients
400ml crushed canned tomatoes
1/2 cup water
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
1 minced garlic clove
1/2 teaspoon white sugar
- Preheat your oven to 400°F
- Bring a large pot of water with a little bit of salt to the boil.
- Prying apart cabbage leaves without tearing them is the hardest part of this recipe. You will need 10 leaves to make medium sized rolls. If they do tear don’t worry about it since we’ll be adding shredded cabbage to the pork mixture, so keep all the mishaps to one side. Add the cabbage leaves to the boiling water one at a time for roughly 3 minutes each until they are floppy. Set aside to cool when done.
- Prepare your rice as you usually do, but under cook it just a tad so it doesn’t get too soft when it goes in the oven.
- Chop the onion and fry in a pan with a pinch of salt and sugar until they’re translucent. Make sure not to brown them.
- In another pot, add the chopped rhubarb with 1/2 teaspoon of sugar, and cook down until you have a mixture of solid and mush.
- Chop 1 cup of the leftover uncooked cabbage
- Grab a large mixing bowl add your cooked onions, cooked rice, mashed rhubarb, chopped cabbage, apple puree, ground pork (raw), basil, minced garlic, lemongrass paste, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and mix well.
- Now to make the tomato sauce, add all the ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat whilst you assemble the cabbage rolls.
- Place about 1/3 cup of the meat mixture into the center of each cabbage leaf and roll up tucking in the ends. Place rolls in Pyrex dish.
- When all your rolls are done, pour over the tomato sauce, cover and bake in the oven for 1 hour.
I LOVE this dish! Serve with a side salad or roasted veges.
Leave a comment
Powered by Facebook Comments